POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Wow... how quaint : Re: Wow... how quaint Server Time
7 Sep 2024 21:12:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wow... how quaint
From: Darren New
Date: 6 Jun 2008 12:47:25
Message: <48496a1d$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Don't you mean "over"? If you say "under" you are effectively saying

I think he mean "under" in the sense of "Firefox runs under both windows
and Linux."

> (Well, the 286 had
> some paging support built into it, but I don't know if any computer ever
> used it.)

I think it had virtual memory but not dynamic paging. (To have dynamic
paging, you have to be able to restart an instruction that accesses
invalid memory, so you can restart it after you page the data into RAM
from disk.)  Some applications used it, tho - photoshop did, I think.

 > when someone mentions the modern equivalent of the
 > Amiga/AmigaOS, namely the Apple Macintosh,

Isn't OSX based on POSIX at least?  The stuff *I* liked about the Amiga
is all missing from POSIX, as far as I can see. :-)

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"