POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Wow... how quaint : Re: Wow... how quaint Server Time
7 Sep 2024 21:14:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wow... how quaint
From: Darren New
Date: 6 Jun 2008 12:36:49
Message: <484967a1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> this had real processing capabilities vaguely moddelled after Unix

AmigaOS was farther from being UNIX-like than DOS 2.0 was. The two had
absolutely nothing in common.

Let me rephrase: What did you think was common about the two of those?
About the only thing I can think of is they both had pre-emptive
interrupts.

> [Again, I suppose theoretically you could do the same thing to a Linux
> distro with enough symlinks. But since I have absolutely NO CLUE how
> Linux actually works and this does not appear to be documented
> anywhere........]

I saw a distro that used symlinks to completely "fix" the legacy layout
of files. So their Linux had a /Programs and a /Library and a /Users and
so on, not unlike OSX apparently has.

> Ooo, ooo, and... TOKEN RING! Remember that?? Trying to get MS-DOS
> powered PCs to talk to each other over a token ring network... Never
> tried it personally, but I watched first-hand, and it wasn't pretty.

I didn't have any trouble with that, except for the amount of RAM it
took.  Left little for the actual applications.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"