POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Wow... how quaint : Re: Wow... how quaint Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:15:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wow... how quaint
From: Invisible
Date: 6 Jun 2008 08:10:35
Message: <4849293b@news.povray.org>
Stephen wrote:

> You probably don't remember what it was like to run DOS in the 80's.
> Batch files ruled :)

Oh, I think I do actually... Certainly even into the 90's, even though
Windows was around, batch files still ruled. That or QBASIC.

[Where I work, we have some analytical software that was written
in-house. It's written in QBASIC. For legal reasons I am required to
keep it in working order. I AM NOT JOKING. Mercifully, since it's
QBASIC, there isn't actually a lot that can really go wrong - it's
blissfully unaware of most of its surroundings. But suffice it to say
that printing to a networked laser printer is... interesting?]

And let us not forget how much scripting I did in AmigaDOS. Unlike
MS-DOS, this had real processing capabilities vaguely moddelled after
Unix, not to mention a small cottage industry of scriptable GUI components.

Under AmigaDOS, "more" was a GUI program! A minimal one, granted - but
that's why everybody used "PPmore". PP = PowerPacker, referring to this
program's ability to natively open PP files without having to invoke PP
to unpack them first. But everybody used it for its wildly superiod GUI...

That's one thing I liked about the Amiga. So long as your LIBS: folder
contained a copy of powerpacker.library, every program in the system
that did anything involving PP files would work fine. I gather that both
Unix and Windoze are supposed to work the same way... but you don't get
to see it in practice.

Possibly my poudest achievement was splitting my OS disk across two
floppies. This required me to completely require the boot script so that
it rewired all the search paths dynamically, so half the files were on
the boot floppy and half on another one, but the OS could still find all
of them immediately. It's a lot more work than it sounds, but it worked
magnificantly.

[Again, I suppose theoretically you could do the same thing to a Linux
distro with enough symlinks. But since I have absolutely NO CLUE how
Linux actually works and this does not appear to be documented
anywhere........]

>> Ooo, ooo, remember TSRs? Remember spending hours editing C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT
>> and C:\CONFIG.SYS to try all permutations of driver loading order
>> looking for one that actually functioned?
>
> Very true :)

Ooo, ooo, and... TOKEN RING! Remember that?? Trying to get MS-DOS
powered PCs to talk to each other over a token ring network... Never
tried it personally, but I watched first-hand, and it wasn't pretty.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/