POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Wow... how quaint : Re: Wow... how quaint Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:17:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wow... how quaint
From: Warp
Date: 6 Jun 2008 08:10:19
Message: <4849292a@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> AOL are
> charging you X per month + Y per minute + BT are charging you Z per
> minute as well.

  Well, it was dialup. What do you expect?

  (Heck, even *today* some people still use dialup and pay per minute.
Naturally this is becoming rarer and rarer, as with ADSL you get a
connection which is a thousand times faster at a fraction of the cost.)

> >   Actually Windows 3.1 could run in much less, and Win95 could run with
> > 4 MB (I have direct experience of this).

> Right. So it's the AOL client that's requiring all this then? [I just
> remembered: IT'S AOL!!] Nothing new there then! ;-)

  Well, just launching IE and surfing the internet (even back then)
probably required more than those 4 MB.

> 10 years ago, so much was possible with so little hardware. Kinda makes
> you feel sad...

  Except that you couldn't download and watch 8GB of anime encoded
with H.264 (or even divx, for that matter). :P

--
                                                          - Warp