POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Wow... how quaint : Re: Wow... how quaint Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:26:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wow... how quaint
From: Invisible
Date: 6 Jun 2008 07:24:02
Message: <48491e52$1@news.povray.org>
Stephen wrote:

> I can't remember when I got it but it ran on a PC under MS DOS. IFAICR
> it looked like an early version of windows explorer. It was good for
> Alt + Tab-ing when my boss came in :)

Well, I can say with authority that Windows 3.11 was simply an
application program that runs under MS-DOS. If you write Windows, you go
back to DOS. When you start the PC, it boots DOS first, and then runs
Windows. And Windows 3.11 was litle more than a GUI with window movement
capabilities and icon management. [Why would you want several windows in
an OS that doesn't support multitasking?]

IIRC, Win95 and Win98 (and WinME?) are slightly thicker layers over the
top of MS-DOS, and it was WinNT that finally replaced DOS with a *real*
OS with actual *features* such as security, multitasking, hardware
abstraction, etc.

Ooo, ooo, remember TSRs? Remember spending hours editing C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT
and C:\CONFIG.SYS to try all permutations of driver loading order
looking for one that actually functioned?

Somewhere on the Internet, there's an MP3 of "Microsoft Jinglebells"
where a guy laments that "I've sat here installing Word since breakfast
yesterday". Certainly it used to really *be* like that!

I guess a few things _have_ improved slightly...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/