POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Wow... how quaint : Re: Wow... how quaint Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:23:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wow... how quaint
From: Warp
Date: 6 Jun 2008 07:10:04
Message: <48491b0c@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:

> of whether you actually use AOL at all.

  Why is that strange? That's how modern ADSL and other similar fixed-fee
internet connections work. It doesn't matter if you download and upload at
full rate 24/7, or you don't use the connection at all, you still have to
pay the monthly fee.

  (Ok, some ISPs may limit your monthly bandwidth, but others don't.)

> - This thing works with Windows 3.1? o_O
> - 486 DX or higher??

  Why is that strange?

> - Even back then, Windows 3.1 only requires 8MB RAM, but already Win95
> requires *twice as much*! (And *triple* the HD space...)

  Actually Windows 3.1 could run in much less, and Win95 could run with
4 MB (I have direct experience of this).

> - [Even back then, I already had a machine that happily displays 256
> colours at resolutions more than a tad above 640x480, has a full
> premptive multitasking OS with sophisticated GUI, and needs only 2MB of
> RAM to do its job - HD optional.]

  Most unix machines did that in the 70's.

--
                                                          - Warp