POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.object-collection : A couple more things : Re: A couple more things Server Time
1 May 2024 01:31:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A couple more things
From: Chris B
Date: 5 Jun 2008 18:06:34
Message: <4848636a@news.povray.org>
"Blue Herring" <pov### [at] bherringcotsenet> wrote in message
> Hello,
>   I'm planning on uploading some new things soon, and I have a couple of
> questions/suggestions about the object collection.
>
> 1. Do declarations in scene files not intended to be imported need to
> follow the prefix naming conventions?  A big example would be demo or
> example scenes included with a package.

Strictly speaking, no. The naming conventions are there to help minimise
naming collisions which would mainly be a problem with included files.

> 2. Is there any method of counting numbers of downloads of certain
> objects?  If not it would be nice for developers to see what kind of
> activity their packages are getting.

We've been recording downloads since mid-March, but currently this info
isn't displayed anywhere. I'll look at putting together a query to summarize
the data.

> 3. Is there a specific reason that SVG files are not permitted for upload?
> I use Inkscape a lot when developing prisms and lathes, and it would be
> nice to include the original SVG with the rest of the files.

The automatic upload scripts restrict file types to those directly supported
by POV-Ray or Moray (plus HTML related files for documentation).
Administrators can upload other file types.

In the sort of case you outline, where the POV-Ray files work fine without
InkScape, but where the SVG files add value to someone wishing to tailor the
shapes, I think it's a good idea to make them available.

I would suggest that you upload the POV-Ray files and create the entry for
the object, then send the SVG files in a zipped archive to the
administrators email address (see http://lib.povray.org/members/). We can
then add the zip file to the object files so it gets downloaded with them.
I'd recommend calling the zip file 'yourobjectname_svgsource.zip'.

Regards,
Chris B.