POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New Moon thought fuel : Re: New Moon thought fuel Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:25:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New Moon thought fuel
From: Warp
Date: 4 Jun 2008 17:50:32
Message: <48470e28@news.povray.org>
Florian Pesth <fpe### [at] compuservede> wrote:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-drop_rule#Some_consequences_of_the_one-
> drop_rule

  After reading that article, I really think that calling a mulatto "black",
at least in the US, is rather obnoxious racism.

  In the past white people used the notion for racial discrimination:
Even one grandparent being black was enough to make you belong to the
"inferior race". This, of course, is rather obnoxious racism.

  Later, black people turned this upside down, and now it's a symbol of
pride to be "black", even if that means that just one of your grandparents
(or whatever) was black. I also consider this kind of racial pride to be
obnoxious. (Sure, I understand the basic idea behind that kind of attitude,
but understanding it is not the same as thinking it's in any way acceptable.)

  Racism will never be eradicated from the world for as long as these
attitudes persist, as long as someone's race matters.

--
                                                          - Warp