POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : When are they going to realise.. : Re: When are they going to realise.. Server Time
7 Sep 2024 21:13:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: When are they going to realise..
From: John VanSickle
Date: 4 Jun 2008 07:22:52
Message: <48467b0c@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Doctor John <doc### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> ...That this is not a good way to win friends and influence people?
>
>   Call me nationalistic or whatever you want, but IMO the main
> responsibility of a government is to protect its own people. The
> intricacies of foreign relationships is always second to that (at
> least when it doesn't directly affect the first responsibility).
>
>   Europe has dug somewhat of a hole for itself with its generally
> lenient immigration policy, and some people, such as the US, are
> wary of that.
>
>   I think it's rather telling that the people who performed the London
> bombings were not foreign terrorists who had entered the country
> illegally. They were British citizens. I believe that has had at least
> some effect on the foreign policies of the US with respect to Europe.
> (That is, it's no longer just "ah, an European citizen, thus not a
> terrorist, welcome" as it may have been in the past, because nowadays
> even European citizens can be muslim radical terrorists thanks to these
> immigration policies.)

It's not as if the recent spate of terrorism was the first time that a
European citizen harbored wishes of blowing up Americans.  During the
80's the Soviet Union sponsored quite a few terrorist groups in Europe,
and it was European citizens who took the cash and blew up Americans
where they could.

Regards,
John