POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : When are they going to realise.. : Re: When are they going to realise.. Server Time
7 Sep 2024 19:15:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: When are they going to realise..
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 3 Jun 2008 18:50:52
Message: <4845cacc$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 14:58:00 -0600, somebody wrote:

> "Jim Henderson" <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote in message
>> On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 14:52:32 -0400, Warp wrote:
>
>> >   Call me nationalistic or whatever you want, but IMO the main
>> > responsibility of a government is to protect its own people.
>
>> You don't protect the people of a nation by pissing off the rest of the
>> world, though.
>
> Ideally, and I am sure the goal of the authorities was not to piss off
> other nations, but often it's not possible to not compromise.

It's nearly always possible to compromise.  What it takes is a reasonable
point of view to start from.  The attitude "we're the USA and we can do
anything we damned well please" is what leads to this type of behaviour.

> On the
> face of it, electronic registration, if it can save any checkpoint
> congestions, even sounds reasonable.

On the face of it, yes.  But then you get into privacy issues and who has
access to the information.  With our government's demonstrated inability
to keep secure data secure, I don't trust them with my SSN, and *they
issued it to me*.

> FWIW, I was throroughly pissed last
> time I flew through Heathrow too, but I doubt that the intent of the
> British was to piss off flyers. Air and cross border travel has become a
> PITA in general.

Yes, but in some places it's more of a PITA than others.  Not just in
Terminal 5.  But hey, at least you weren't wearing a Transformers shirt
where the robot was holding a gun.  Someone was detained in Terminal 5 at
Heathrow for that (though I wonder if there's more to that story than
we're hearing).

Jim