POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Quotable : Re: Quotable Server Time
7 Sep 2024 23:28:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Quotable
From: Darren New
Date: 3 Jun 2008 12:14:34
Message: <48456dea$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>>>   Except that it's not an explanation at all. It's simply stating the
>>> result of the experiment.
>
>>         Isn't that what a theory is?
>
>   No. A theory is a suggested explanation for a phenomenon, not just a
> description of the phenomenon.

Actually, a theory is a model that allows you to predict a wide range of
events accurately. "God did it" is an explanation but not a theory.

>   An experiment measures a phenomenon. A theory is a suggested explanation
> of what causes that phenomenon.

Except that in physics (and most "hard" science), "explain" means
"provide enough information to predict."

>   There are many theories which are untestable in practice. For example
> the existence of the so-called cosmic horizon is, by definition, untestable.

Nonsense. Unless you want to say the same of *every* horizon.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"