POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Shiny! : Re: Shiny! Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:26:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Shiny!
From: Invisible
Date: 3 Jun 2008 08:46:36
Message: <48453d2c$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> the temparature readings seem rather suspect.
>
> Those IR thermometers work by assuming the object you're pointing at has
> a specific emissivity (which is hard-wired in on cheap models), and also
> a certain temperature of environmental radiation.  Unless you set those
> two accurately for each thing you measure you'll never get an accurate
> temperature reading using IR.

I actually meant the readings from the *other* thermometer is rather
suspect. The readings from the IR thermometer agree with our validated
instrument.

(And yes, it's hard-wired to 0.95 thermal emissivity. Apparently it's
supposed to compensate for air temparature. And it won't work on "shiny"
surfaces. And also takes a moment or two to go from very hot to very
cold things...)

The environment meter has a temparature/humidity wand, and it dissagrees
with our validated thermometer by several degrees above or below. It
also seems to take a VERY long time for the reading to change.

On the other hand, the metal temparature probe that comes with it seems
more reliable. I haven't compared it to the validated instrument, but it
does at least seem to more or less instantly change reading when you
heat or cool it.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/