POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Quotable : Re: Quotable Server Time
8 Sep 2024 01:16:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Quotable
From: Darren New
Date: 3 Jun 2008 01:39:43
Message: <4844d91f$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   So why does it interfere with itself when there are two slits but not
> when there is only one?

Actually, it doesn't interfere with itself when you look at some other
electron that hasn't gone through the apparatus at all. In other words,
looking at some other entangled electron controls whether *this*
electron interferes with itself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_eraser_experiment

Now, explain how you get the photon going thru one slit or both slits,
based on some other photon at a spacelike distance away from the other
equipment?

>   However, when there are two slits, the electron passes through and starts
> interfering with itself, as if it has passed through both and changed
> direction in different ways.

"As if" is the operant term here.

>   (I believe this has something to do with wave-particle duality: In the
> double-slit experiment the wave nature of the electron shows up: The wave
> goes through both slits and starts interfering with itself.)

But not if you look at some other entangled photon and measure something
irrelevant?

>> Yes. What makes you think that the only *possible* explanation is that
>> the electron passed through both slits?
>
>   What is the other explanation?

Weren't you, btw, the one arguing that not having a competing theory for
evolution wasn't sufficient to dismiss evidence-free arguments against
theory of evolution?

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"