POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Quotable : Re: Quotable Server Time
8 Sep 2024 01:13:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Quotable
From: Darren New
Date: 2 Jun 2008 21:29:10
Message: <48449e66$1@news.povray.org>
Mueen Nawaz wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
>> Mueen Nawaz wrote:
>>>
>>>     Define mass.
>>
>> E=mc^2?  Isn't mass measured in electron-volts?
>>
>> Why? What's your point?  (This isn't sarcastic. I don't know enough to
>> know why someone who knows more would point out that I didn't define
>> mass, or that my naive understanding of it isn't correct.)
>
>     The usual convention I've seen is to state that photons have
> momentum, not mass. A lot of physics textbooks (these days) don't talk
> about relativistic mass or mass changing when one speeds up.

Fair enough.

To be more precise in what I was saying, the amount of energy and hence
frequency of a photon is going to decrease in a smooth and
differentiable way as it climbs up out of a gravity well, according to
relativity as I understand it. Hence, not all quantities in "quantum
physics" have discontinuous integral values.

> physicists did not like the suggestion that a body gains more mass just
> by going faster.

That's OK. I also talk about how "big" a particle is. ;-)

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"