POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Quotable : Re: Quotable Server Time
8 Sep 2024 03:14:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Quotable
From: Darren New
Date: 2 Jun 2008 20:47:47
Message: <484494b3$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Except that the electron is an elementary particle, with no known
> subdivision into smaller components. And, as far as I know, the charge
> of an electron is the smallest known charge.

Yet, oddly enough, the proton seems to be composed of three quarks each
with some charge, and has the same charge as an electron. You know, a
really fast google on "quark charge" turns up

http://education.jlab.org/qa/quark_05.html

Now, given that electrons seem to be elementary particles, and quarks
seem to have a partial charge compared to electrons, there's some mighty
funky stuff going on with charge there.

>   You are saying that all experiments which show light as behaving like
> a wave and the experiments showing it behaving like a stream of particles
> are wrong?

No. I'm saying that your phrase "like a wave" is too imprecise to be
worth talking about. Define "like".

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"