POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Quotable : Re: Quotable Server Time
8 Sep 2024 07:17:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Quotable
From: Darren New
Date: 2 Jun 2008 16:27:30
Message: <484457b2$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Assuming the particle *is* at some specific location at any given time
> instead of being distributed in space.

That too. Note that's why I specified "when you look". It's easy to tell
whether an electron is in a particular place at a particular time when
you look. It's called, for example "Dynamic RAM."  It's more difficult
to tell when you're not looking.

>> Yes, it can actually hit the other side of the Earth. It can also hit a
>> week before you shoot it. Very unlikely, but possible.
>
>   I don't believe in the time travelling.

You're mistaken. Happens all the time (on a sufficiently small scale).
QED doesn't work if you don't take it into account. Plus, most (or all)
of QED is time-reversable. I.e., an electron going forward in time looks
just like a positron going backwards in time.

Indeed, given a photon travels at the speed of light, time must be
stopped. Yet, we know events happen during the lifetime of a photon. If
time is stopped (by Lorenz contraction), why would a photon ever
spontaneously change into something else?

> As for the location, I assume
> the probability of it hitting the other side of the Earth is so small that
> some physical constant prevents it.

Good to know. Your opinion has been noted and filed appropriately. ;-)

Seriously, there are (reputable) people who believe electrons are
fungible because it's all the same electron moving around in time and space.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"