POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Quotable : Re: Quotable Server Time
8 Sep 2024 09:16:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Quotable
From: Mueen Nawaz
Date: 2 Jun 2008 15:37:13
Message: <48444be9$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   However, when there are two slits, the electron passes through and starts
> interfering with itself, as if it has passed through both and changed
> direction in different ways.
>
>   How else can this be explained? How does the electron "know" that there's
> another slit so that it "knows" to start interfering with itself, other than
> actually going through the other slit as well?

	Your questions are interesting, but the conclusions do not necessarily
follow. If you actually attempt to detect the electron passing through a
slit, you'll detect it passing through only one slit (and you won't get
an interference pattern). When you don't try to detect it, you get an
interference pattern.

	You're concluding it passed through two slits when you don't try to
detect it? It knows before passing through the slit that you're trying
to detect it? Such a suggestion is about as weird as an electron
interfering with itself. It may be true, or it may not be. I don't
presume to know.

	As you yourself stated elsewhere, you get an interference pattern even
when only one electron is shot at a time. However, the electron strikes
the screen in only one place at a time. Looking at where they struck
individually gives no evidence of any interference - it doesn't "weakly"
strike two places at once. Looking at the whole set of locations the
electron struck, though, does. One could simply explain this by saying
that the presence of two slits causes the electron to act in a
probabilistic manner - resulting in an interference pattern.

	And, AFAIK, that's the best explanation there is. I have a formalism
that describes experimental results, and I don't have to resort to
thinking about electrons interfering with themselves.

	The reason I don't want to declare self-interference is that there is
no way I can test it (or as Darren would say - any attempt to show this
fails). I can have two slits and put detectors at each slit. When you
detect an electron passing through a slit, interference ceases. Why? If
the electron can pass through both slits, why can't you actually detect
this?

>>>   If there's "no evidence", what do you call the interference pattern?
>>> "Non-evidence"?
>
>> Interference.
>
>   The interference can be explained with the electron passing through both
> slits at the same time. Ergo the interference is evidence of that happening.
> (Note that "evidence" is not the same thing as "proof".)

	And detecting which slit an electron passes through is also evidence
that it isn't passing through both slits.

--
The next war will determine not what is right, but what is left.

                    /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                    anl