POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Quotable : Re: Quotable Server Time
8 Sep 2024 09:20:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Quotable
From: andrel
Date: 2 Jun 2008 15:17:06
Message: <48444760.50105@hotmail.com>
Warp wrote:
>>>   What the mathematical model *can* do is to give a distribution function
>>> which tells how the electron is distributed in space (a bit like a
>>> function which tells how the water is distributed, except that with
>>> the electron the "density" of the "water" is not constant).
>
>> No, actually, it tells you the likelihood of finding it at any
>> particular place, were you to look.
>
>   Assuming the particle *is* at some specific location at any given time
> instead of being distributed in space.
>
>> Yes, it can actually hit the other side of the Earth. It can also hit a
>> week before you shoot it. Very unlikely, but possible.
>
>   I don't believe in the time travelling.
Luckily you don't have to believe it in order for it to exist. BTW I
don't think what Darren proposes can actually happen, though it might be
possible to create a situation that is indistinguishable from it.
> As for the location, I assume
> the probability of it hitting the other side of the Earth is so small that
> some physical constant prevents it.

The only thing that prevents it is the number of electrons you have to
try it. Still even if it will never actually happen, yet the fact that
it could will influence the outcome anyway.