POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Quotable : Re: Quotable Server Time
8 Sep 2024 05:17:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Quotable
From: Darren New
Date: 2 Jun 2008 12:37:28
Message: <484421c8$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Michael Zier <mic### [at] mirizide> wrote:
>> Don't forget: A single electron doesn't make an interference pattern. It
>> produces a bright spot on the fluorescence screen saying: Exactly here
>> and nowhere else the electron hit the screen.
>
>   Wasn't it "impossible" to accurately measure the place and velocity
> of a quantum particle? ;)

Only down to Plank's constant. You can easily tell down to the size of
an atom which atom it hit.

>> Only if you observe many many events and add up their positions they
>> converge to an interference pattern.
>
>   But I believe it can be done by shooting just one electron at a time,
> so the electron indeed interferes only with itself, not with other
> electrons.

No, it only interferes with other electrons. The electrons it interferes
with are electrons from other times. There's always a possibility that
it lands at any particular place. Why is it any stranger that it
interferes with electrons in the future than it is it interferes with
itself?

That's what I was talking about in the "amazingly, math works" thread.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"