POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Quotable : Re: Quotable Server Time
8 Sep 2024 05:14:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Quotable
From: Darren New
Date: 2 Jun 2008 12:34:49
Message: <48442129$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   So when the electron hits the sensitive film *after* it has passed the
> slits, it goes back to the past and changes it so that it goes through
> only one of the slits after all?

No. It either interferes with itself or not. You're assuming the only
way it can interfere with itself is to go through both slits. There's no
evidence that's the case, and much evidence that it isn't.

>   I knew quantum mechanics were whacky, but I didn't know particles could
> travel back in time and change their previous behavior because the effect
> of that behavior was measured *after* the fact.

Actually, yes, they can. For example, a photon can emit a
backwards-traveling electron (aka a positron) which cancels with the
electron it emits later, so as to preserve the number of non-virtual
particles around. It's weird.

But there's no evidence that's what's happening in the two-slit experiment.

>   So you are saying that, even though the only possible explanation for
> interference patterns is that the electron passed through both slits,
> there's still no evidence of that?

Yes. What makes you think that the only *possible* explanation is that
the electron passed through both slits?

>   If there's "no evidence", what do you call the interference pattern?
> "Non-evidence"?

Interference. Nobody knows why, because every time you measure an
electron, there's only one, even when both slits are open. There are
plenty of experiments where both slits are open and you only ever see
the electron go through one or the other and never both. Of course, you
don't get the interference when you actually look, but then the fact
you're looking *after* the electron went through the slits shouldn't
affect which slits it goes through, should it?

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"