POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : A step back in alpha transparency (+ua) blending? : Re: A step back in alpha transparency (+ua) blending? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:18:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A step back in alpha transparency (+ua) blending?
From: Warp
Date: 2 Jun 2008 03:51:37
Message: <4843a688@news.povray.org>
> The current (3.6) behaviour was designed by Nathan - there was some
> discussion about this some time ago (don't remember where) about how
> exactly this background compensation should work.  If for example there
> is a specular highlight on a completely transparent surface you might
> want this highlight to be visible or not - the 3.6 code tried to address
> this but you can of course question if this is 'correct'.

  Well, the highlight does make the surface less transparent regardless
of what is in the background, so I don't really see the ambiguity.

  But I understand that doing it "correctly" is not always necessarily
trivial. For example, one question is that if in an antialiased pixel
20% of the rays hit the object, 30% hit another differently-colored
object and 50% the background, what should be the color of that pixel?
The transparency is trivial (50% transparent), but what about the color?

  (I assume POV-Ray 3.6 makes the pixel 40% of the first object's shaded
color and 60% of the second's?)

--
                                                          - Warp