POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Quotable : Re: Quotable Server Time
8 Sep 2024 03:16:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Quotable
From: Michael Zier
Date: 2 Jun 2008 03:45:33
Message: <4843a51d$1@news.povray.org>
Am Mon, 02 Jun 2008 03:41:22 -0400 schrieb Warp:

> Michael Zier <mic### [at] mirizide> wrote:
>> Don't forget: A single electron doesn't make an interference pattern.
>> It produces a bright spot on the fluorescence screen saying: Exactly
>> here and nowhere else the electron hit the screen.
>
>   Wasn't it "impossible" to accurately measure the place and velocity
> of a quantum particle? ;)

Indeed, and that's what I said: It hit the screen *here* and I have no
clue how fast and from what direction :P

>> Only if you observe many many events and add up their positions they
>> converge to an interference pattern.
>
>   But I believe it can be done by shooting just one electron at a time,
> so the electron indeed interferes only with itself, not with other
> electrons.

Yes, I've seen this experiment. *Single* bright spots lighting up
briefly, no observable pattern if you just look at it. Unless you average
"all the video frames" (which you can do either with real video frames or
"simulated" with a photographic film), an interference pattern emerges.