POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : A step back in alpha transparency (+ua) blending? : Re: A step back in alpha transparency (+ua) blending? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:30:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A step back in alpha transparency (+ua) blending?
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 2 Jun 2008 02:18:32
Message: <484390b8@news.povray.org>
Warp schrieb:

>   The change in behavior of the alpha transparency (+ua) feature in pov3.7
> was made quite long time ago, but I didn't notice it until now.
>
>   I must protest.
>
>   Taking into account the background color when calculating transparent
> pixels was how POV-Ray worked long time ago, and this was changed to the
> pov3.6 behavior for a good reason. If I'm not mistaken, I was the one who
> suggested the change in the first place. (I don't remember now when the
> change was done. Possibly to some version of POV-Ray 3.5.)
>
> [...]

The current (3.6) behaviour was designed by Nathan - there was some
discussion about this some time ago (don't remember where) about how
exactly this background compensation should work.  If for example there
is a specular highlight on a completely transparent surface you might
want this highlight to be visible or not - the 3.6 code tried to address
this but you can of course question if this is 'correct'.

Anyway what you describe how 3.7 handles transparency is of course not
how you would usually like it.

-- Christoph