POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Quotable : Re: Quotable Server Time
8 Sep 2024 01:17:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Quotable
From: Mueen Nawaz
Date: 2 Jun 2008 01:06:24
Message: <48437fd0$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   But their simultaneous location in more than one place can be inferred
> by other side-effects. For example a single electron can pass through two
> slits at the same time, interfering with itself after doing so.

	I have to side with Darren on this. Your assertion that the electron is
passing through two slits at the same time is merely your imposing a
certain belief onto the system. Yet, any attempt to *directly* verify
your theory will fail.

	When I learned quantum mechanics, the professors (and probably the
books) tended to be careful not to make statements like these. The
emphasis is always, "I don't really know what's going on, and so we're
not going to waste time pondering over it. We have this abstract
quantity known as the wavefunction, and a formalism about it that
actually does work statistically, and we'll focus on that."

	The wavefunction of a particle is nonzero in a whole region - perhaps
in two disconnected regions. They'll all say that. But the (serious)
books don't go from that to saying, "The particle is in two places at once."

--
Aibohphobia: Fear of palindromes.

                    /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                    anl