POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Quotable : Re: Quotable Server Time
7 Sep 2024 21:12:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Quotable
From: Darren New
Date: 1 Jun 2008 15:08:39
Message: <4842f3b7@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   I'm sure if you asked a physicist specialized in quantum mechanics he
> would say that life would probably not be possible without the wild
> uncertainties of quantum phenomena (such as particles physically being
> at multiple locations at the same time).

I imagine that life based on DNA and chemistry and such wouldn't work
the same way. I was talking more about if (say) the universe worked the
way you thought it should, or there really were demons and spirits that
could make fundamental changes to how the world works, etc.

(BTW, you don't get particles being physically present at multiple
locations. If you actually measure where they are, they're only in one
place.)

>   Yet, even the counter-intuitive quantum phenomena can be subject to
> mathematical formulation.

Only statistically speaking, tho. Nobody has figured out what causes it
to have the properties they have, even tho (surprisingly enough) it's
the only way you can get a mathematically consistent treatment. In a bit
more detail, QED is based on probabilities. The only probabilities that
work are 1-dimensional probabilities (i.e., real numbers, and =
multiply, or = add), and 2-dimensional probabilities (i.e., complex
numbers as probabilities). I believe it's been mathematically proven
that you can't have something with the properties of "probability" that
has more than 2 dimensions. QED has two-dimensional probabilities for
events, and when you average enough of them you get one-dimensional
probabilities for events.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"