POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Is there such a thing as a famous Mandelbrot texture? : Re: Is there such a thing as a famous Mandelbrot texture? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:21:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is there such a thing as a famous Mandelbrot texture?
From: Invisible
Date: 29 May 2008 06:11:37
Message: <483e8159@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   You'd have hard time creating that animation with POV-Ray (at least without
> using external programs or external precalculated image maps). That's because
> in that animation the color rings of the different iterations have been
> interpolated, creating smooth color gradients. POV-Ray cannot do this.
>
>   Some fractal programs, such as xaos, support that, and that animation
> may well have been done with it.

More exactly: The colouring algorithm makes use of additional data from
the orbit to produce a seamless colour gradient. (I.e., it doesn't just
blur the lines in the colour gradient, it actually adds additional new
detail - much like antialiasing isn't just blurring.)

At any rate, rerendering the entire frame a few thousand times is rather
inefficient. There are all kinds of tricks you can use where you reuse
pixels from the previous frame to vastly reduce the total time required
for simple zooms like this.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/