POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A small puzzle : Re: A small puzzle Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:14:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A small puzzle
From: Darren New
Date: 28 May 2008 11:53:43
Message: <483d8007$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   As andrel pointed out, measuring those ranges is less intuitive using
> feet and inches because a foot is not a handy multiple of an inch.

I think to summarize a lot of this, ones problems tend to be either

1) stated in one unit of measure and rounded off to that unit, such as
saying "I want 3 gallons of milk" rather than "I want three gallons and
2 ounces of milk", so you're not doing conversions but your measurements
are precise, or

2) you wind up with math anyway: "You have a plot of land 17 meters by 5
meters. Each plot needs twelve metal support spikes, each 93 cm long.
How much metal do you buy?" :-)  Once you get into real-world stuff like
that, using base 12 instead of base 10 to convert feet to inches doesn't
really add much complication.

That's why the imperial system doesn't really bother us much here.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"