POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A small puzzle : Re: A small puzzle Server Time
7 Sep 2024 21:15:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A small puzzle
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 27 May 2008 11:33:54
Message: <483c29e2@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 27 May 2008 07:53:14 +0100, Stephen wrote:

> On 26 May 2008 18:24:39 -0400, Jim Henderson <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote:
>
>>> Do you mean that you will live in different parts of the country for
>>> periods then move on?
>>
>>Possibly - though the single biggest inhibitor is the lack of a college
>>degree - that has implications in immigration in England, but not
>>necessarily Scotland.
>
> Skin colour and origin has probably more implications for immigration in
> the UK, I would imagine :-) As for work I have never found the lack of a
> degree to be a show stopper, experience counts for more here than it
> does in the US (I believe). Anyway if you were working for and being
> paid by a US company it would be irrelevant, I assume.

Well, I know the recent changes in UK immigration state three criteria -
money (to invest), age (lower is better - and I'm over the rather
arbitrary age threshold), and a college degree.  In the old points
system, I was good to go, but they changed all that within the last
year.  (My wife follows it fairly closely.)

Possibly coming over while employed by a US company would work (it does
here in the US - my last boss was a Canadian immigrant, and my current
boss lives in Canada).

>>> Halfway between Edinburgh and Glasgow? Not Cumbernauld? I lived there
>>> for about four years.
>>
>>Do you know where Shots is?  It's near there.
>
> I do, my father in law worked there at the distillery and it is word
> famous in Scotland for the Shotts and Dykehead Pipe Band.

Wow, small world, isn't it?  Almost makes me wonder if you know the guy I
know there.  That'd be weird.  IIRC, he said the population was fairly
low there...

>>> Funny enough I am thinking about leaving the country as it is going to
>>> the dogs in a handcart, if you will pardon the mixed metaphor :)
>>
>>LOL, it's all relative. ;-)
>
> True, that is what my auntie said :)

<groan>!

Jim