POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A small puzzle : Re: A different measure Server Time
7 Sep 2024 21:14:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A different measure
From: scott
Date: 27 May 2008 03:31:01
Message: <483bb8b5@news.povray.org>
>> Well yes (I experienced a crazy 3-lane road once in Finland where the
>> middle lane was for both directions!)
>
> No, you haven't ;). You might have experienced a 3-lane road where 2 lanes
> are for one direction and 1 for another and the single-lane direction
> going cars are allowed to overtake on the middle lane *IF* there's no cars
> going another direction and using the middle lane.

Yeh sounds about right - it was a blizzard so you couldn't see very far, but
it still didn't stop our taxi driver using the middle lane at 120 km/h and
swerving back and to when approaching cars were also using the same lane!

> One might think so, but that's not true. You don't need a traffic jam to
> render all overtaking-places unusable. Waiting for a realistic and safe
> place to overtake a 80km/g going car on 100km/h limit might easily take
> 20+km.

I guess it depends how much power your car has and whether you are happy to
go over the speed while overtaking.