POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A small puzzle : Re: A different measure Server Time
7 Sep 2024 23:25:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A different measure
From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 26 May 2008 12:04:33
Message: <483adf91$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:

> I think it would also work well in the UK, France and Italy from what
> I've personally experienced.  In Germany they could simply say that all

I haven't driven in those countries, so I can't say yes or no. But
basically: multiple lanes are needed to make different speed limits work.

>> but ie. in Finland there's rarely over 200km of highway/multi-lane on
>> 500km trip.
>
> Well yes (I experienced a crazy 3-lane road once in Finland where the
> middle lane was for both directions!)

No, you haven't ;). You might have experienced a 3-lane road where 2
lanes are for one direction and 1 for another and the single-lane
direction going cars are allowed to overtake on the middle lane *IF*
there's no cars going another direction and using the middle lane.

That experiment was canceled 7-8 years ago, since people didn't get the
priorisation of the middle lane. Since then all 3-lane roads have been
2-lane for one direction and 1 for the other, with no allowed exceptions
(which is nasty, 'cause they usually are good places to overtake on
other direction too, if there's no cars coming towards from the other
direction).

> , but at least on those single-lane
> roads there isn't so much traffic that you never get an opportunity to
> overtake!

One might think so, but that's not true. You don't need a traffic jam to
render all overtaking-places unusable. Waiting for a realistic and safe
place to overtake a 80km/g going car on 100km/h limit might easily take
20+km. One car can be enough to render overtaking-place unusable.

--
Eero "Aero" Ahonen
    http://www.zbxt.net