POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : +am2 performance question : Re: +am2 performance question Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:27:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: +am2 performance question
From: John VanSickle
Date: 26 May 2008 07:16:31
Message: <483a9c0f@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Jan Dvorak <jan### [at] centrumcz> wrote:
>> Hello,
>> when using +am2 (recursive antialiasing), are the corner samples shared
>> between their respective pixels, that is, is +am2 as fast as +am1 or is
>> it four times slower if no antialiasing takes place? Are the edge
>> samples reused?
>
>   I actually don't know the exact details of the antialiasing algorithm
> used, but I have the impression that no samples are shared between pixels
> in either method. This is because antialiasing can be jittered, and if
> that's the case, most samples wouldn't be at pixel edges and thus difficult
> to share. (I have to admit, though, that I can think of variations where
> samples can be jittered *and* shared between pixels. However, I don't know
> exactly what POV-Ray is doing.)

I don't see a problem with jittering a shared sample.  Samples can be
assigned to a particular place in the pixel, and this assignment used to
determine any sharing between pixels (or sub-pixels, since this is
adaptive); when the sample is actually traced, it can be jittered at
that time.

Regards,
John