POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A small puzzle : Re: A different measure Server Time
7 Sep 2024 23:28:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A different measure
From: scott
Date: 26 May 2008 03:23:03
Message: <483a6557$1@news.povray.org>
>> Yeh I was thinking of just on the multi-lane-per-direction roads, as they
>> are the ones mostly used for long distances where a higher speed limit
>> might be an incentive for people to buy greener cars.
>>

> Well yes, in some countries. Germany's highways are pretty great
> infrastructure, for example,

I think it would also work well in the UK, France and Italy from what I've
personally experienced.  In Germany they could simply say that all cars
above a certain pollution level are always limited to a maximum of 120
km/hr, even if there is no limit at that point.  If they fixed it so that
that "certain level" meant around 50% of new cars sold before were either
side of the limit, then I suspect it would significantly reduce pollution
(due both to people buying greener cars, and people going slower with the
more polluting cars).

> but ie. in Finland there's rarely over 200km of highway/multi-lane on
> 500km trip.

Well yes (I experienced a crazy 3-lane road once in Finland where the middle
lane was for both directions!), but at least on those single-lane roads
there isn't so much traffic that you never get an opportunity to overtake!