POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : It's not a photo... : Re: It's not a photo... Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:14:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: It's not a photo...
From: stbenge
Date: 24 May 2008 15:35:38
Message: <48386e0a@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> To a person not expecting rendered images (e.g. a scientist that has
> (literally) been living under a stone for the past 20 years) it might
> not be so obvious.

I suppose this is possible for at least two reasons: 1) They don't know
about CG art, as Gilles mentioned. 2) They forgot what reality looks
like (I've had this happen to a small extent when staying indoors for
too long).

> I think you should take it as a compliment that someone who has seen a
> number of them in real live still think yours is a good example.

Yeah, I'll take it as a compliment :)

I wonder about this person's familiarity with actual aqueducts, though.
My knowledge on that subject is near nil, and I used absolutely no
references when making that image. It's a complete fabrication, and is
not based on *any* real-world example. A person with knowledge of
aqueducts, who has read that article, is probably scratching their head
at my image wondering to themselves what actual waterway my image was
based on (or wondering where it exists, if they think it's a photo).

>> Should I contact the author or just sit here smiling silently?
> I think you should contact her. She might use the image in a context
> where people do know it is not real and make a fool of herself (if she
> didn't already). Tell her that she should not refer to it as a photo but
> as an artist impression. Alternatively she might have some suggestions
> to improve your image to even better match a certain period. If you have
> time for it you might even suggest that you could make variants of it,
> each representative of a certain period.

The article is already at most a year old, I wonder if she would still
want to change it. I'll probably contact her, just for a heads-up.

>> ( BTW, the author never contacted me for permission to use the image,
>> but I don't really care, I just find this funny)
> I think that you should always point this out. People tend to use google
>  too easy. Simply give her permission retrospectively and mention that
> not everybody might be so generous.

Good advice, thanks.

Sam