POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : It's not a photo... : Re: It's not a photo... Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:22:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: It's not a photo...
From: andrel
Date: 24 May 2008 05:07:17
Message: <4837DAF1.7010206@hotmail.com>
stbenge wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Sometimes Google can produce some interesting results, even when
> searching one's own name. Case in point:
>
> http://www.spanda.org/SpandaNews_I,2.pdf
>
> Within that document lies an image produced by me. Underneath it reads,
> "Indor Aqueduct. Photo by Samuel Benge." (the word "indor" is obviously
> a misspelling of "indoor") It's the same image appearing in povray.org's
> Hall of Fame:
>
> http://hof.povray.org/indoor_aqueduct.html
>
> I don't get it. To me the image is not exactly photo-realistic.
To a person not expecting rendered images (e.g. a scientist that has
(literally) been living under a stone for the past 20 years) it might
not be so obvious.
I think you should take it as a compliment that someone who has seen a
number of them in real live still think yours is a good example.
> Am I
> missing something, or do people commonly refer to CG images as "photos?"
I don't think so.

> Should I contact the author or just sit here smiling silently?
I think you should contact her. She might use the image in a context
where people do know it is not real and make a fool of herself (if she
didn't already). Tell her that she should not refer to it as a photo but
as an artist impression. Alternatively she might have some suggestions
to improve your image to even better match a certain period. If you have
time for it you might even suggest that you could make variants of it,
each representative of a certain period.
> ( BTW, the
> author never contacted me for permission to use the image, but I don't
> really care, I just find this funny)
I think that you should always point this out. People tend to use google
  too easy. Simply give her permission retrospectively and mention that
not everybody might be so generous.