POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : "Cannot open output file" : Re: "Cannot open output file" Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:23:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "Cannot open output file"
From: Tim Attwood
Date: 22 May 2008 21:53:11
Message: <48362387$1@news.povray.org>
> I couldn't find the thread that I was thinking of, but I came across this
> one where the last 8 responses could be of interest to you. The key seems
> to be not to install it in the default location, which write protects a
> whole load of things that stop POV-Ray working:

http://news.povray.org/povray.windows/thread/%3Cweb.462601924b1ad72e11d42ae90%40news.povray.org%3E/?mtop=242839&moff=20

I don't have Vista either, but I understand the problem to
be with usage of "ini" extention on files. Vista treats all
ini files in C:\program files as system only files, and
denies read and write access. This doesn't just stop
POV from working, it stops many other applications
from functioning properly. MS wants all programs to
use the registry instead of ini files, disregarding that
programs like POV wish to keep thier ini files editable
as a text file. I would think that to be on the safe side
no programs at all should be installed to C:\program files,
I think this rates right up there with clicking "start" to
access "turn off the computer". With Vista you take
the files from your programs and put them anywhere but
into "program files".