POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Infinite Objects : Re: Infinite Objects Server Time
30 Jul 2024 20:28:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Infinite Objects
From: Jan Dvorak
Date: 22 May 2008 02:28:58
Message: <483512aa@news.povray.org>
Stephen napsal(a):
> I've just noticed that if I scale a sphere by 10000 it becomes an
> infinite object. Are there any implications to this?
-since double precision is only 16 digits you cannot have objects with
scales differing by more than 8 digits.
-if the camera is inside the sphere you must make it hollow or inverse.
-such object will probably be traced by every ray. This has performance
implications of using complicated objects (an unlikely need)

this method is often used to create a background because a sky_sphere
doesn't cooperate with radiosity very well.
--
the ultimate time-killer:
+a0.0 +am2 +r9

Johnny D