POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A small puzzle : Re: A small puzzle Server Time
8 Sep 2024 09:14:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A small puzzle
From: Darren New
Date: 21 May 2008 21:02:15
Message: <4834c617$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
 >   One thing I like about the metric system is that terms are always
 > consistent and don't change meaning (and especially not amount) depending
 > on what you are measuring.

True. It's certainly more consistent. I just find it a touch less
convenient in some cases.

 >   Of course since Americans have this obsession that they can't have
 > *anything* the same as those pesky Europeans, they even had to change
 > at least *something* of the metric system: To them it's litre, not
 > liter (likewise metre instead of meter, etc).

Errrr, no, I don't think so. That's the Brits, not the Americans. :-)

And given how much longer Imperial measure has been around compared to
Metric, I'd argue that it's the Europeans trying to abandon the
Brits/Americans.

Technically, everything in the US is supposed to be on the metric
system, but the government has no right to enforce that for private
individuals, so imperial measures persist. Altho I understand that many
government contracts specify metric, so you wind up with 4.1 liters of
fluid held in a container constructed with 7.82 mm bolts. :)

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     "That's pretty. Where's that?"