POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : AVI woes : Re: AVI woes Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:21:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: AVI woes
From: Warp
Date: 21 May 2008 17:40:44
Message: <483496dc@news.povray.org>
stbenge <stb### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> So I *finally* got around to obtaining a bmp->avi animation program by
> the name of AviCreator.

  I hope that's not the one which loads *all* the input images into memory
(in raw format) before even attempting to write the avi file...

  I don't know about your problem, but I bet there are better programs
for what you want to do. VirtualDub is a popular free program for creating
and converting avis (using any codec installed in your system). While it's
not completely intuitive at first how you convert a series of image files
into an avi with VirtualDub, it's perfectly possible.

  Another free alternative, which is the de-facto encoder in linux,
is mencoder (its Windows port, to be more precise). Of course it's a
powerful "hacker tool" and thus not designed for maximum user
friendliness, so you might find it quite daunting at first. OTOH once
you learn to use it, it can be quite handy.
  (OTOH, VirtualDub probably meets your needs, and it's a bit easier
to use, so you might want to check that first.)

--
                                                          - Warp