POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : AVI woes : Re: AVI woes Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:24:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: AVI woes
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 21 May 2008 17:25:27
Message: <48349347$1@news.povray.org>
stbenge wrote:

> Can anybody tell me why these problems are occurring? My system is
> reasonably fast. My system is composed of a multi-core 2.4ghz CPU, 2gb
> RAM, good nVidia card and Windows XP. An animation should run at
> full-speed.

My best guess is that your harddrive isn't fast enough. I see exactly
the same problem - animations above a certain size just won't play smoothly.

> DVDs work just fine.

DVDs use MPEG-II compression, so there's vastly less data per second to
be whisked around.

Basically it doesn't matter *which* codec you use, just so long as you
compress it down to a bitrate your I/O system can handle. [Which, unless
your I/O system is especially slow, should be a pretty easy target to hit.]

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/