POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A small puzzle : Re: A different measure Server Time
8 Sep 2024 07:15:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A different measure
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 21 May 2008 14:45:10
Message: <48346db6$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:

> Of course, if more US cities had public transit comparable to what I've
> seen in European cities, I'd be happy to fund that with higher taxes. :-)

Now that would depend on *which* cities.

In Manchester, I was amazed to discover that if you just *stand* by a
random bus stop, it is _virtually guaranteed_ that an actual bus will
appear in LESS THAN TEN MINUTES. (!!)

In Milton Keynes, you might stand by a particular bus stop for a few
days before you see a bus. It depends on which bus stop, what day of the
week it is, when the last bank holiday was, etc.

In summary: In Manchester, you can actually *use* busses to go to
places. In Milton Keynes, while theoretically you can do the same
thing... no, seriously, you can't. Not IRL. It just doesn't work.

It also depends on which country. In the UK, it's rare for trains to be
on time, and they're 1 or maybe 2 per hour. In Switzerland, they're both
much more frequent, and [as far as I can tell] dramatically more
reliable. They also don't smell of old people inside...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/