POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Paranoia? : Paranoia? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:27:02 EDT (-0400)
  Paranoia?
From: Invisible
Date: 21 May 2008 09:39:38
Message: <4834261a$1@news.povray.org>
OK, does anybody *else* find that testing software makes you...
slightly... paranoid??

I wrote a program with the simple purpose of checking that two files are
identical. It passed all the tests I constructed. Performed flawlessly.
(But then, it's a pretty trivial task, right?)

Today, I suddenly discovered that it sometimes gives you the wrong
answer. (!!!) Specifically, I constructed two very slightly different
files that are erroneously reported as being identical.

Obviously, it's pretty easy to fix my program, and I can add a new test
case to the system to catch this in future. But considering that "it's
so simple there's nothing that can go wrong"... now I'm wondering
exactly what the hell *else* my test cases haven't caught! o_O

[For anybody who cares: I forgot to put the streams into binary mode. So
all the line-ends get converted to canonical form. OOPS!!]

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/