POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A small puzzle : Re: A small puzzle Server Time
8 Sep 2024 03:15:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A small puzzle
From: scott
Date: 21 May 2008 06:49:50
Message: <4833fe4e@news.povray.org>
>> And you were never curious as to why you never saw any amounts between
>> $999m and $999999m written anywhere?  Anyway, you know now :-)
>
> Well, actually a never read the kind of material where you might ever see
> such numbers at all, so... ;-)

You must of at least seen or heard the headline of MS bidding to buy Yahoo?
That involved some number of billion dollars.

BTW, what you thought a billion was, 1e12, is such a big number that you
would never really see it applied to money.  The largest companies in the
world don't even sell close to $1e12 worth of stuff.  Only the largest 12
countries in the world have a GDP of above $1e12.

> I think "million" and "billion" already sound way too similar for numbers
> of vastly different sizes. Most people really don't notice the difference
> between them.

What makes you think that?  Not noticing the difference could lead to some
pretty embarrassing situations - I've never witnessed anything like that.

> I wonder what the hell people will call it when 4 terabyte drives become
> common. MB => meg, GB => gig, TB => ???

terra?