POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A small puzzle : Re: A small puzzle Server Time
8 Sep 2024 03:15:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A small puzzle
From: Invisible
Date: 21 May 2008 06:19:38
Message: <4833f73a$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:

> And you were never curious as to why you never saw any amounts between
> $999m and $999999m written anywhere?  Anyway, you know now :-)

Well, actually a never read the kind of material where you might ever
see such numbers at all, so... ;-)

I think "million" and "billion" already sound way too similar for
numbers of vastly different sizes. Most people really don't notice the
difference between them.

I figure that's why nobody talks about "seventeen billion bytes". If you
said "seventeen million bytes", nobody would notice the difference very
much. That's why most people call it 17 GB and 17 MB. [Ah, but is that
2^10 or 20^3??]

I wonder what the hell people will call it when 4 terabyte drives become
common. MB => meg, GB => gig, TB => ???

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/