POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Busted : Re: Busted Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:14:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Busted
From: scott
Date: 20 May 2008 06:49:20
Message: <4832acb0$1@news.povray.org>
>> Remember, heating is due to power not current.
>
> That's interesting - this is the first I've heard of this.

It's simple physics, any electrical energy lost inside a component must be
converted to some other form of energy, usually the majority of which is
heat.  The electrical energy lost inside a component does not depend solely
on current, but on power.

Example 1: 10 amps going through a thick cable of resistance .001 ohms.
Power dissipated = 1 W.  Heating effect: very small

Example 2: 10 amps going through a heating element of resistance 10 ohms.
Power dissipated = 1000 W.  Heating effect: a warm room.

You can compare those examples to the tracks on your PCB and the IC.