POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A small puzzle : Re: A different measure Server Time
7 Sep 2024 21:14:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A different measure
From: Warp
Date: 19 May 2008 07:52:57
Message: <48316a19@news.povray.org>
Paul Fuller <pgf### [at] optusnetcomau> wrote:
> I find the fact that such a seemingly miniscule amount of fuel can be
> used to propel quite massive vehicles along at such speeds quite
> amazing.

  Once the car is moving it only requires the amount of fuel necessary
to overcome the friction which would otherwise stop the car. Given that
the car has an enormous amount of momentum, the amount of energy needed
to keep it against such small things as air friction isn't all that large.

  Compare it to the amount of fuel needed to get the car from 0 to 100 km/h
in a relatively short amount of time.

--
                                                          - Warp