POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Consultants - a good thing? Discuss : Re: Consultants - a good thing? Discuss Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:13:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Consultants - a good thing? Discuss
From: Doctor John
Date: 18 May 2008 08:29:42
Message: <48302136@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> Gail Shaw wrote:
>
>> And those few who aren't clueless about the technologies are ignored by
>> management and their opinions and advice discounted because "They're just
>> programmers/syadmins/DBAs. The consultants cost a lot more and hence
>> must be
>> more knowledgeable."
>
> Certainly the company I work for won't listen to a damn thing *I* say.
> But hey, I'm just the tea boy. I keep the servers running, but I don't
> really *know* anything about anything. It's not as if I spent 6 years of
> my life and tens of thousands of pounds in loans to study computing, or
> like I've been running these same systems for 5 consecutive years now,
> or anything like that...

As usual, Gail has said nothing with which I can disagree.(I'm not
damning with faint praise, I just couldn't think of a way of phrasing it
better)

The effect of these (mis)management decisions is demonstrated by
Invisible. Totally demoralised, he's a prime candidate for poaching by a
competitor that values its employees' knowledge, expertise and
commitment more. I suspect that even if the idiots he works for were to
double his salary he'd still be looking for another job

John

finished," then he sat down.