POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A small puzzle : Re: A different measure Server Time
7 Sep 2024 19:17:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A different measure
From: M a r c
Date: 18 May 2008 06:09:08
Message: <48300044@news.povray.org>

482fe97c$1@news.povray.org...
> On the other hand, steam engines are more efficient. (I.e., transform more
> of the available energy into useful work.) But they're really not
> "convinient" at all.
Stirling engine generator >>> electricity powered wheels...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stirling_engine

>> Second thought though is that when you add up the consumption of tens of
>> thousands of vehicles along a section of major road each day it does
>> start to amount to quite a lot.
>
> Uh, yeah...
>
>> And all of this is with a liquid that was produced millions of years ago.
>> It is the captured sunlight that fell on forests in the time of the
>> dinosaurs.
>
> Indeed.
>
> Still, you'd think it would be possible to somehow take plants living
> today and transform their tissues into some kind of highly flammable
> hydrocardon with reasonably efficiency. This would seem the obvious
> sustainable solution.
There are researches on hydrocarbon synthesis directly from CO2 and H2.
This could be a better solution because arid (but close to the sea )and
sunny (solar energy) zones could be used instead of fertile lands better for
food production.

Marc