POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A small puzzle : Re: A small puzzle Server Time
7 Sep 2024 11:26:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A small puzzle
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 16 May 2008 16:20:58
Message: <482decaa$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 16 May 2008 21:11:34 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

>>> If I put my car into top gear and set the engine to 3,500 revolutions
>>> per minute, my car travels forward at almost exactly 75 miles per
>>> hour. So... how far forward does it travel for a single revolution of
>>> the engine??
>>
>> Is this a math puzzle, or a real question?
>>
>> If it's a real question, it's almost impossible to answer from the
>> information given.  You have to take into account acceleration,
>> momentum, friction, etc.
>
> How so?
>
> The engine is directly coupled to the wheels. Unless the car looses
> traction, the forward motion of the car and the rotational speed of the
> wheels and engine all have a simple linear relationship.

There isn't a linear relationship between the rotational speed of the
wheels and the speed of the engine.

If I take my foot off the gas, the engine revs drop.  The car may or may
not slow down (depending on the road and the landscape).

Similarly, if I apply the brakes to a full stop, the engine doesn't die,
it idles.

Then of course if you put the car in neutral, you've completely
disengaged the engine from the wheels.

Jim