POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Valid solution or evil hack? : Re: Valid solution or evil hack? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 19:12:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Valid solution or evil hack?
From: Invisible
Date: 16 May 2008 04:18:05
Message: <482d433d$1@news.povray.org>
> The tiny plugs/sockets that are used inside laptops and mobile phones
> etc often have a designed lifetime of just *ONE* operation!  It means
> everything can be made much smaller and thinner and hence cheaper, but
> of course you wouldn't use one of these if you were expecting to
> actually use the plug regularly.

I think my grandparents have used up the one connection on their mobile
phone. It is simply no longer possible to get a reliable USB connection.
You have to try about 8 or 9 times. The connector is just useless...

>> I'm just wondering whether they actually did anything different at all
>> for the extra money, that's all.
>
> Well they must have done if they are guaranteeing it for critical use.
> If they didn't they risk being in a lot of trouble when things do fail
> (or maybe there is even some law that is relevant, I don't know).  Are
> they ISO 9000 accredited?

That's the thing. I don't *think* the company in question is actually
guaranteeing it will work. They're just charging lots of money. We're
the ones who do all the calibration checking and so forth.

>> [Seriously - WTF does a mass spectrometer even have in it? It's just
>> an empty tube, some vacuum pumps, an electrode and some magnets. So is
>> my TV! Well, apart from the vacuum pumps anyway... And yet, my TV
>> doesn't cost more than a small housing estate. Wuh??]
>
> How many TVs do you think have been made in total?  How many mass
> spectrometers?

If you were asking "particle accelerators", it would be a different
story. ;-) Mass spectrometers are fairly rare, but not all that rare.
Although obviously rarer than TVs.

> What do you think is the tolerance on TVs?  Would you care if the green
> on the UK weather map looks a slightly different shade to your neighbour?

That might have something to do with it...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/