POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bombed! : Re: Bombed! Server Time
7 Sep 2024 17:13:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bombed!
From: St
Date: 15 May 2008 15:16:36
Message: <482c8c14$1@news.povray.org>
news:482c8366$1@news.povray.org...
> St. wrote:
>>      I bet. I'm thinking about the guy that got 10,000 a SECOND in that
>> link Gilles and John posted.
>
> I was talking about making a mistake that causes your own code to spam
> you. :-)

   Heh, ok, I was wondering what you were talking about.  ;)

>> I guess I could just change our email addy on our site to a spare one for
>> now and let this episode fade out even if it is weeks.
>
> If they're bouncing to postmaster, it doesn't matter what *your* site
> says. You're going to get bounces to postmaster because there's no such
> AOL user or something.

     Well, yes, I understand this at least, but what I was thinking of is
the fact that I have to weed out our genuine customers emails. So a change
of email address would at least be more manageable.

>> I think I've got about 75% of them pointing to the DI folder now, so it's
>> not a massive problem.
>
> If you can afford the bandwidth, it's not really a problem if you can get
> them tossed out reliably.
>
> Generally, bounces delivered to "postmaster" don't need to be looked at
> unless one of your users asks why it's bouncing after they threw out the
> bounce message *they* received. (Or unless of course it's bouncing because
> you're testing the configuration that isn't working right yet, for
> example.) It's more a "courtesy cc" of the bounce message than anything.
>
> Me, I'd throw away anything coming into postmaster until it calms down.
> Nowadays, the postmaster address is useless exactly because of this sort
> of problem.

     Ok, thanks for that Darren, reassuring. The whole thing seems to be
calming down at the moment, (there seems to be fewer), but I'm now at 3410.
I wonder what will show in the morning?

      Thanks for the info and advice.

      ~Steve~